History of Sierra-At-Tahoe, California
Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort was the brainchild of long time Tahoe local Vern Sprock. Sprock dreamed of opening a ski operation for many years and was finally successful in 1946 when he cranked up the bullwheel at what was then known as Sierra Ski Ranch. The Sprock family was successful in operating the resort until 1993 when the resort was sold to Fibreboard.
The Ranch, as it was then known to skiers all over the area, was located further down Highway 50 from where it now sits. It was moved to its present location in 1968, when the California Department of Transportation began widening Highway 50.
Over time, Sierra at Tahoe has grown to be one of Lake Tahoes largest ski resorts with over 2,000 skiable acres, serviced by ten chairlifts, including three express quads.
In July 1993 new owner Fibreboard brought many changes to Sierra Ski Ranch including the new name Sierra-at-Tahoe. Fibreboard also brought several innovative programs and guest focused services to Sierra.
Booth Creek Ski Holdings purchase of the resort in 1996 continued to fuel additional industry firsts for Sierra. Sierra has a long reputation of legendary terrain, excellent location and great value. Sierras strategy of being Lake Tahoes Full Service, Value Oriented Day Use Snowsports Resort, is continually emphasized by providing great service, great value, big fun and a commitment to innovation. Sierra strives to provide the level of service that guests go home talking about and come back expecting.